Reading Notes: Seder Masochism

"Written by God, Moses, or a Series of Patriarchal Males, depending on whom you ask"


After watching Sita Sings The Blues and discovering the genius of Nina Paley's work, I began researching her background and how she has been influenced in her artistic pursuits. I was excited to discover that she has another animated film out called Seder Masochism. "Seder?" I thought. "As in... Passover?" 
I am Jewish and have grown up celebrating Passover, honoring the many unique traditions of the holiday (including the four glasses of wine, an element of the seder mentioned in the film. A tradition I definitely appreciate). Watching the trailer for Seder Masochism was another tempting taste of Paley's uniquely absurd and vibrant animation, and I knew I would have to watch the whole thing at some point. I decided to wait until now (the actual holiday of Passover) to watch the film, to make the viewing experience more personable and fun! I've gotten out my matzo (sadly, no popcorn allowed in keeping with tradition) and I can't wait to dive in. 


-Beautiful opening credits sequence
-Fluid images transforming through a series of unique shapes and arrangements
-A woman and a snake; reminiscent of the original sin
-The snake moving within in the woman could be a metaphor for how the snake in the Garden of Eden got inside Eve's head 

-Tap dancing Moses
-Synchronized sheep dancing 
-This opening sequence makes sheep herding look like a blast




 God. Source: Wikimedia Commons

~~~

Bibliography:

Paley, Nina. Seder Masochism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha