Week 10 Story: Villanous Vixens

“How about, The Bad-to-the Bone Babes?”

Thataka scoffed and glanced over her shoulder. “Darling, have you looked in a mirror recently?”
Soorpanaka rolled her eyes but didn’t argue. She, Thataka, and Putana were busy painting the walls of the rented office where the three of them would soon be opening their new business. They had yet to decide on a name, however, and continued to brainstorm as they smeared a rusty red color along the walls.

The idea began on a lazy Saturday afternoon when the three friends had gone tanning on the rim of Mount Valcron, one of the most active volcanoes in the world. The sun’s rays were too weak to have any effect on their thick skin, but a splash of lava here and there achieved the sun-kissed equivalent of their strange hues. They had been discussing the unfair treatment of demonesses and reflecting on their own personal experiences.

“It was one failed mission! And my brother Ravana refused send another female demon on a mission for nearly a hundred years,” griped Soorpanaka.

“Injustice if I ever heard of it!” cried Thataka.

“And the cat calling! It’s bad enough that these breasts almost led to my demise when Krishna suckled them, but these male demons can’t seem to remember that I have a face to look at,” Putana added.

“But really, love, who would want to look at that?” Thataka teased. They gave each other knowing looks and laughed.

Reveling in the seering heat of the lava, they had decided then and there that enough was enough. They began planning the details of their own business, which would empower the work of demonesses and other evil-identifying females. They had seen their vision through and were nearly ready to open the doors.

“I’ve got it!” Soorpanaka exclaimed suddenly. Thataka and Putana stopped painting and turned toward her. “The Villainous Vixens.”


Thataka smiled. “That’s who we are.”



A statue of the demoness Putana. Source: pxhere


Author's Note: This story was inspired by the Epified video that told the story of Putana and her mission to kidnap and kill baby Krishna. I also drew from the stories of Thataka and Soorpanaka, both of whom are demonesses we encounter in the Ramayana. I wanted to highlight the villainous women of the epics, who are so often overshadowed by the overhyped male villains.

~~~

Bibliography: "Krishna: Part A." Video Series. Epified. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrWYQjLLbXchvrnCibGQXZjo3FLHppHWD

Comments

  1. Hi Joni!

    I love this story! As you may have guessed based on my storybook, I am a huge fan of retelling these epics in stories where the women have a larger role! The women in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata get extremely overshadowed by their male counterparts and it’s awesome to read a story that addresses that! I know this isn’t a part of your storybook, but it would be really fun to read a miniseries about the Villainous Vixens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joni,

    Your story is very well written, and I find your style very entertaining as a reader. This is a simple yet entertaining story. I think the dialogue is the strong point of the story as it is witty and casual, but hits on important issues. Issues that are relevant even today. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from you!

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joni,
    I thought the concept for your story was really cool. I like how you brought 3 different female demons together. I also thought your story was really enjoyable to read and funny at parts. It's cool that your story is about empowering women, even demonesses. You did a really good job of telling a lighthearted story while also including social issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joni,
    Enjoyed reading your story and a whole new take on others we have watched or read so far! One of the things that stuck out for me were the adjectives you used when the girls had spoke like "griped" and "cried". You definitely gave me ideas for my own stories! I also thought it was creative how you combined two different stories we have learned about and made them come together in one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joni!
    Your style of story telling is so enjoyable! I was engaged the entire time. I was invested in the characters and the outcome. Great job! The attention to detail was phenomenal. I can't wait to read more! I also appreciated that there was a theme to the story as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joni! I liked your story and your perspective on this story. It felt very well written and detailed! I always enjoy reading stories with lots of dialogues to understand the characters better. I like how much verbs you used, it was very engaging! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joni,
    I really enjoyed your post. I liked how you focused on the female villains instead of the male ones. I feel like we read so much about the evil males in the taled but it is refreshing to read a story that focuses on the evil females. I also enjoyed your writing style a lot because it helped me to feel more immersed in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joni, I really enjoyed your story. I thought it was cool how you brought forth the villainous female characters and showed who they were. I thought the flow of your story was very good and it was structed well. I also thought it was cool that you drew inspiration for your story from multiple places instead of just one source.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha