A Dance of Death - Week 2 Story

There once was a land covered in a majestic forest. The trees rose for miles in every direction, and their bold green leaves absorbed the golden dew of the sun, casting brilliant light across the forest floor. Travelers always observed that the ground spread far and wide as a single velvety layer of earth. It had been worn smooth by dancing feet, for within the heart of the woods lived spirits who loved to dance.

At night the spirits took the form of beautiful women, and they would sing sweetly to attract men who might be passing among the brambles. Once these men heard their voices, they had no choice but to follow them; the music of the spirits was irresistible. 

When the men arrived to the clearing that was home to the spirits, it looked as if they had stumbled upon a royal ball. The spirits were dancing under the veil of the ebony sky, their beauty illuminated by the stars. Mortal men could not resist this intoxicating scene, and they became caught up in the frenzy of the dance. Winds whistled past their cheeks as they moved in time with the women, leaping and spinning and breathing in the rich night air.

Despite their external beauty, the spirits were not benevolent creatures. Dancing was the secret way in which they trapped men in their forest for eternity. The spirits were mystical beings and they never tired. But those they lured in were made of flesh and bone, and the men would become weak and dizzy and as they danced for hours on end. Even as they began to stumble and falter, the women became more manic, their movements becoming sharper, faster, harder. The winds intensified, and the frenetic energy of the evening whirled around them. The spirits would not cease, even as the men begged them for the chance to rest. They showed no mercy. The men were forced to dance until they collapsed, never to rise again: for this was a dance of death.

The souls of these men became trapped within the great forest, never to depart from the tangle of life that stood unassuming in the daylight. The spirits would rejoice, as the shadows of these men were forced to rise each night to dance with them once more. Although the men who were alive were not able to see the shadows of the ghosts that had surrounded them as they unknowingly moved toward their final breaths, the winds had tried to warn them of their fate; they were the cries of the men who had come before them, whose souls were already ensnared in the eternal dance. 




A macabre dance. Source: Wikimedia Commons


Author's Note: The story about the goblins intrigued me because of how it defied the traditional role prescribed to females in many stories, replacing the idea that women are docile and passive and instead imbuing their characters with a twisted, demonic nature. Reading this story reminded me a little bit of a ballet called Giselle, in which the female creatures (called willis) force the men that stumble upon their realm to dance until they die. I incorporated elements of this ballet into my re-telling. Unfortunately, unlike in the goblin story, the men of my tale could not understand the warnings of what lay in store for them, and none were able to escape their doomed fate. 

Bibliography

"Goblin City" by W. H. D. Rouse ~ Web Source


Comments

  1. Hey Joni,

    And Odysseus ordered his men to tie him to the mast... (was there any Hellenic inspiration here?)

    I love the visuals in this story, especially the spirits' ball in the clearing -- it's such a spooky image! (Dare I say... compelling?) There's just something very palpable about your description of the dance. The revelation that the winds, which seemed to be part of the spirits' trap, were actually trying to warn the men about their fate is also a great twist, and one I didn't see coming at all.

    :)

    - Alby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joni,

    Okay I promise I am not just saying this, your style of writing is so fluid and beautiful!! I liked that you picked this story with your dancing background because I think it gave you a fun perspective on the topic. I loved how you were able to relate it to the ballet called Giselle. I liked your version of the story even if it is a little sad for the men in the tale! I really appreciate when stories deviate from the traditional roles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you told the story. I had not read the original version so having the chance to read yours was nice. I thought the use of some of your vocabulary was impressive. I wonder where the where these dancing spirits originated? Was that something mentioned in the original story? I also wonder if the men who were lured in were of specific type? This could be something you add as not just any men cam in but a certain type maybe looking for something more than themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joni. The story was such a captivating one to me. I felt like one of the men who entrapped in the dancing as I was reading this story because I could not take my eyes off the wonderful storytelling and vivid descriptions. I loved it when you mentioned the winds were the voices of the men who had died. I would have never guessed that if you had not pointed that out. Is there a reason why the spirits who took form of beautiful women wanted me to be trapped in the eternal dance? You story is great, maybe you should also incorporate the voices from the wind into the story, showing that the wind is trying to warn the men of the danger. Overall, this story was excellent and I have never heard of the ballet Giselle, so I definitely want to look that up. Good job on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joni! I loved how you picked this story due to your background of ballet! I think it is a great that you are able to relate this story to something that you do everyday. I love how this story portrays the women to have a demonic demeanor instead of the traditional helpless roles that are often used. Your storytelling is also amazing, I love the visual aspects that I get from this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joni! I liked this story that you have created and felt very intrigued to keep reading as you related to it to your past and something that you identify yourself with such as the ideas and background of ballet. I liked the way you told the story and how it felt like I played a character in this story as well. Like LeMonteCarlo mentioned, I liked the way that there were vivid descriptions and such clear understanding of what was going on and it was very easy to understand. The style of writing is so clear cut and so flowy that it was so easy to follow along and read along wanting to know more. Choosing something that you can relate to helps an individual get more of their heart on the paper and I feel like that's exactly what you did since you are talking about something that you are super passionate about. I really liked the take you took on this project and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha