Thoughts on Growth Mindset

Before watching Carol Dweck's videos I was not previously familiar with the concept of the growth mindset, and I am very intrigued by how it can shift our thinking to a more positive and productive place. I agree that we should place focus on the process of learning rather than ranked outcomes; the way in which a student approaches their learning is much more valuable in the long-term than seeing an A on the top of a paper. I try to approach my own school work in this way, putting in the time and effort to effectively engage with knowledge and create meaningful work that I take pride in. However, I have definitely fallen victim to the fixed mindset before, as much as I strive not to obsess over grades and perceived failures. I grew up in a very competitive school district where Bs were practically considered failing; high school was an extremely challenging time of my life because of the pressure I felt to do well and attain those magical As, and I sacrificed true learning in some cases because of this. One area of my life where I believe I have truly been able to embody the growth mindset, however, is in my dancing. Dancers take ballet class every single day with the hope of achieving beautiful lines in our bodies, virtuosic jumping and turning abilities, and artistry that deeply impacts others. Ballet is incredibly challenging, and progress happens in very small increments; we spend hours in the studio pushing our bodies to the limit in the hopes of improving ourselves over time. Without the desire to face such mentally and physically exhausting challenges in the studio, I would never be where I am today as a dancer. 


Source: Twitter

Comments

  1. Hello again, Joni!

    When watching Dweck's videos, I also found them so insightful and enlightening. As performers, we are always going to be faced with criticism, whether it occurs in our studies or in our careers. The most important thing, in my book, is to build a foundation of confidence and positive performance experiences, in order to receive feedback and always focus on how it can build you up! We are never going to be perfect artists, because that would tarnish the meaning of the word, and so we therefore must always have a growth mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joni,
    I also agree that we should place focus on the process of learning rather than ranked outcomes. My parents would always say that to me because for my brother everything just clicked for him because he was so smart, but I had to study hard to be at his level. I think it really made a difference in college when the material was just hard so everyone (even my brother) had to study. I like how you mention about your challenges in dancing, but it helped you become a better dancer.
    Your classmate,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha