Week 13 Story: Dating Deities

"Greetings one and all! This is Dating Deities, and I'm your host, Kamadeva, resident Goddess of Love. We have a great show for you today, so let's welcome our eligible Goddess, Aadya, to the stage." 

Aadya floated across the stage in a long gown bejeweled with precious stones. She sat down gingerly on the gold chair on the right end of the stage, looking out over the audience with the demeanor of a queen gazing upon her subjects. Kamadeva the host walked over to her. 

"Aadya, welcome. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself and what kind of man you're looking for?"

"I am the primal Goddess, and my essence permeates all of creation. I am looking for a man who can match my power but respect me as the supreme Earth Mother."

Kamadeva said, "Wonderful! Now let us meet the eligible male Gods."

The darkened left side of the stage suddenly lit up, and Aadya's choices were bathed in light.

Kamadeva moved to the first of the three. "God #1, tell us a little bit about yourself."

"Hi guys, I'm Brahma. Honestly I'm a little freaked out to be here; I literally just hatched from an egg and hour ago. And that egg was laid by the Goddess before you, Aadya! I can't be with her; she is like a mother to me."

Kamadeva's eyes widened, and she turned back toward Aadya. She cast a wicked glare in Brahma's direction, and, seething with rage, said "How dare you humiliate me like this! I place this curse upon you: no temples will ever be raised in your honor. Let your followers wander blindly, never being able to seek refuge in your graces."

Kamadeva quickly turned back to the Gods and said, "Aaaaannndd that's how these things go sometimes! God #2, take it away."

The second God, Vishnu, sat quietly staring off into the distance. He glanced left and right, his gaze falling upon Aadya. He simply said, "This is not the way of things." After a long spell of silence, Aadya declared, "This God is shifty; his eyes dart back and forth and he has no kind words for me. On to the next."

The final God was none other than Shiva. At Kamadeva's prompting, he looked at Aadya and said, "Dear Earth Mother, if you will have me, I will accept your embrace and love you fiercely. But I have one request. Before we unite, you must grant me your third eye. Two eyes are not sufficient to gaze upon the vastness of your beauty."

Shiva’s flattery pierced Aadya’s heart, and she was rendered senseless by his words. “Of course you may have my third eye,” she said, swooning slightly in her chair. 

As the show concluded, Aadya sauntered over to claim her prize. She and Shiva left side by side. Little did she know, giving up her third eye would be her downfall.



The three eligible gods. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Author's Note: This story is based off of the tale of Aadya. In the epic, she gives birth to Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva in the form of three unfertilized eggs. She wishes to unite with them, but each has either a reason to turn her away or a condition attached to the union. I had fun turning this into a game show scenario.

Comments

  1. Hi Joni! I read your first story and I read this one now and I am really liking how your stories are evolving and how your writing style is so compact and flowy. There were some parts of this story that I did not fully understand and that I felt could be elaborated more on so that a reader who reads this could understand the relation of Aadya and Vishnu since they would not know what is going on other than just you explaining it. The youtube link of the Secrets of the Goddesses helps put things into perspective and also the fact that in your authors note you mentioned the backstory of Brahma and Vishnu including Shiva and his unfertilized egg forms. This helped me realize what was going on in the story more than the story itself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha