Week 8 Reading and Writing

This course has been magical for me, because it is the first opportunity I have had since my junior year of high school to write creatively for a class. Growing up, writing was always one of my favorite pastimes, and I filled many notebooks with the musings of my young mind: I wrote stories, poems, and everything in between. Words were my escape, but they also helped to ground me. Since starting college, I have had very little time to write creatively on my own, and I am so happy to be able to reconnect with my love of creative writing through this class. Each week I have explored different styles of storytelling (from those filled with poetic imagery to those are based purely on ironic humor), and I am very happy with how many of the stories have turned out. 

In order to make the most of the reading for this class, I would like to explore more of the extra credit options. It has been wonderful gaining a solid foundation of the Indian Epics through the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. I believe there are many other stories out there, however, that will help to nuance my understanding of the texts we have already read in class, and open my eyes to an even larger world of the Epics.

I have chosen to bring back this image from the week I watched "Sita Sings the Blues," because I still cannot wrap my head around how incredible it was. The sarcastic Gods in the film (pictured in black below) are partially what inspired me to go outside my comfort zone of serious prosaic writing to explore humor in my stories.



Rama doubts Sita's purity. Source: Flickr

Comments

  1. Hey Joni. I am glad to hear you also are enjoying this class. This is by far my favorite class this semester. I love how we can be creative and bring endless amounts of ideas to the stories we create. When I saw your image I was wondering where you got that image from. I have never watched "Sita Sings the Blues". Maybe that is a video I should watch for an extra credit reading, especially since you said it was great! I hope everything goes well for you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha