Week 8 Comments and Feedback

I have taken several online classes at OU, and I have consistently found it difficult to connect with the other students and feel that I am participating and interacting with a group of humans. The commenting aspect of this class has been a great way to meet people and share ideas, which I really appreciate. I have enjoyed reading other people's introductions and gaining perspective on who my classmates are; it has also been interesting to observe how our different backgrounds may influence our writing. 

The comments I have received have generally been very helpful; I have started to see patterns in how I write and what I need to work on thanks to the insight of other students. Some of the questions they have posed have caused me to consider new ways of approaching my writing and exploring ideas I might otherwise have overlooked. 

I consider editing to be one of my stronger abilities, and I hope that other students have found my feedback helpful. I try to pose questions about aspects of their stories that they may not have previously considered, and to point out how they might be able to expand upon their ideas. I sometimes find myself getting caught up on copy editing notes, however, simply because these are usually silly mistakes that can easily be fixed to make the writing appear more professional.

The cat below speaks to me, because I believe one of the essential elements of being able to give and receive good feedback is feeling that you are in a safe and supportive environment. It can be difficult to articulate constructive criticism or accept it if a person feels they are being judged for either role. Giving and receiving feedback that is honest and judgement-free allows for positive growth.



Source: Cheezburger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha