Week 6 Story Laboratory

"Your SATs scores are not high enough to redefine intelligence"


The Twice Exceptional Student
-"Exemplary strengths and extraordinary challenges"
-"Challenges can be strengths in the right context"

Four C's
-Capacity
-Competence 
-Commitment
-Creativity

Creativity and Autism
-Autistic students thought of as incapable of meaningful interaction
-In reality, they crave connection
-Improv exercises allow bonding and exploratory social interaction 
-Reframe social awkwardness as social creativity 

Reframing Human Intelligence
-You should not have to score above a certain threshold to make the world a better place
-We should help children explore interests and passions no matter what standardized tests say about their ability to succeed
-Personal goals and passions should be taken into account as well as ability level 
-Motivation to achieve increases ability to achieve
-Slowness does not equal stupidity!
-When is achievement allowed to trump potential?

Personal Anecdote
The talk on human development talk really hit home for me, because when I was younger I had a lot of difficulty learning to read and was categorized as a student who had fallen behind their peers in terms of learning ability. By the time most of my classmates were starting on chapter books, I was still working my way slowly through books full of pictures. But I loved to read and did not give up on words, even as they swam before my eyes, which drove my teachers crazy. I eventually caught up to my peers and became an avid reader, a love that I have carried with me through my life. From that point on I was always placed in the gifted english classes and excelled in my ability to read and discuss literature.

Intellectual Property
-"My life is too short to focus on legislation when I could be making art"
-Culture is a network
-Information must be transmitted and shared to create and transform culture
-Art creates culture 
-Changing thoughts lead to innovation

Copyright
-"Information can go in, but it cannot go out"
-"Halts expression before it can begin"
-Copyright is destructive rather than productive 
-When information cannot flow it stagnates 



The power of creativity should never be underestimated. Source: Pixabay

~~~

Bibliography

"A New Theory of Human Intelligence" by Scott Barry Kaufman --- Reference Link
"Copyright is Brain Damage" by Nina Paley --- Reference Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha