Week 2 Reading Overview

I have chosen to read Narayan's Ramayana. I prefer to read from print books rather than online text, which is the primary reason why have I selected this version. I also appreciate that there is a reading guide associated with this text, and that I will be able to reference useful and relevant information to dive deeper into the backgrounds of the characters and the meanings of the stories.

Comics

Guide: Vasantasena, A Dancer ~ Read here

The title of this comic caught my eye right away; as a dancer, I am very excited to see how dance plays a role in these stories! I am also intrigued by the description of the plot being reminiscent of a Shakespearean comedy. I think it is fascinating that we can connect the structures and elements of stories written hundreds of years apart, and that different cultures often end up utilizing similar elements in their stories. This speaks to the universal nature of humanity; while we may tell unique stories that resonate with a particular group of people, elements of those stories may repeat themselves thousands of times in other stories over the course of history, simply because they are a part of the shared human experience.

Guide: The Parijata Tree ~ Read here

I am intrigued to read about the meaning of this special tree and the significance of its leaves in helping to teach a lesson about the Gods. Trees are very powerful beings, and to me they have always been a symbol of strength and longevity. It will be fascinating to see the specific role that the trees in this story play, and how their significance relates to Indian culture.

Videos

A Diwali Story: Rama and Sita Defeat Ravana, the Demon King ~ Watch here

I grew up in a very diverse city, and Diwali was one of the cultural holidays that I would hear mentioned, but that I never really knew anything about. I would love to learn about the origins and traditions associated with this celebration, and the story of the Gods associated with it. This particular video looks very colorful and engaging.

Harry Potter Music (Indian Version) ~ Watch here

The music in the Harry Potter movies is beautiful; I have always enjoyed the whimsical, mysterious nature of the most famous melodies. I think it will be very interesting to hear these same melodies interpreted on different instruments, putting a different cultural spin on the music. I took a class last semester called Middle Eastern Music, and I was very excited to see that some of the instruments I learned about, such as the tabla and the santur, feature prominently in this video. It is always exciting to find connections with past learning!



Hanuman encounters Sita in the Ashoka Grove. Source: Illustration by Frank Pape

I believe this image provides a stunning contrast between the humanistic and animalistic elements that comprise the identities of the Hindu Gods. It reveals that we each have different natures within us, and that we express these unique parts of ourselves based on the circumstances in our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha