Time Strategies

In his article, Thomas Oppong makes the point that completing the most undesirable task of the day first thing gives us a profound sense of accomplishment and sets us up for a more productive day.  I have certainly noticed this trend in my own life; when I stay up super late doing homework, I often skirt around the least desirable work at hand and end up wasting a lot of time perusing the internet. When I force myself to go to bed and get up early in the morning to complete homework, however, I feel refreshed, energized, and better able to complete difficult tasks. I like the way Oppong breaks tasks into the categories of what we need to or don't need to do, and what we want to or don't want to do. Sometimes the amount of work in our lives can be overwhelming, and using this system to categorize tasks and identify how we should approach our work based on its importance seems like a very good time management strategy. Oppong also makes a profound statement about the approach to how and what we choose to spend our time on; he advises that "life's too short to say yes to things... you hate." Although there are some things we do not have a say in, I think it is important to remember that there are many parts of our lives we control, and we can make the active choice to do work that makes us happier.

What stood out most to me in Joynicole Martinez's article was the power of saying no. I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew in my life; I take on additional responsibilities even when I am overwhelmed by the things I have already committed to. I fall into the trap of not wanting to disappoint people by saying no, but I would certainly benefit from recognizing the need to say no at times. This would in turn help me to preserve the integrity of my own priorities and ensure I have time to complete the tasks that are important to me.



Eat the frog; don't let it eat you! Source: Pixabay


Articles Referenced:

Eat The Frogs First Thing in The Morning (And Other Better Work Habits) ~ Read here

3 Steps to Recapture Time ~ Read here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 7 Story: Draupadi and Iatha